Dunwoody was founded in the early 1830s. It was named after Major Charles Dunwoody. The Ebenezer Primitive Baptist Church was the first church in the area and was established in 1829. The first railroad entered Dunwoody in 1881 and the first public school of the area was built in 1889. The area was also visited by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1905. Dunwoody was officially incorporated as a city on December 1, 2008.